Biography and Artist Statement


                                             
                                                 'Cheers' acrylic, coloured pencil

Growing up in the Niagara Wine region of Southern Ontario, I drew inspiration from an agricultural based community. 
My post secondary education began in Early Childhood Education and Photography at Niagara College (2000-2002). This led to an Art Fundamentals honours certificate at Sheridan College (2002-2003) that included studying art history abroad in Italy. After that I attended the Ontario College of Art & Design, during 2003-07, majoring in drawing and painting. As a student at OCAD I began teaching art at the Grimsby Public Art Gallery.  This led to teaching art, traditional, contemporary and historical at the Art Gallery of Hamilton from 2007-2021.  In 2021 I completed a post-graduate diploma in Montessori Education.  Currently I work full time as a Montessori elementary teacher and practising artist.
Artwork crosses lines between the physical and philosophical. A hybrid of materials. My work leans towards environmental awareness, humanity and existence. Often using recycled paper to create a new form of material. With the addition of a photograph I am combining one of the oldest art forms, papermaking, with one of the newest forms of art, digital photography. 

Compositions consider the elements of art such as line, colour and texture.  The materials I choose are a reaction to time and the environment in which we live. Recycling is a major element in my work. The paper I use to transfer photographs on, I make by hand from recycled paper. The reincarnation of materials, giving ‘garbage’ a new purpose and meaning, extending its time of life. I use archival mediums to persevere and strengthen the paper, reinforcing the extension of life.

To view a wider selection of work online please visit manmckinney.blogspot.com 
Artwork/commission inquires contact manmckinney@gmail.com 

Comments